Thursday, June 23, 2011

Broccoli Bacon Soup

It has been a while since my last post. We have been cooking, and taking photos, and chasing our kids! Mainly chasing kids! Which is why I love this recipe that I am about to share with you today! It is fast, and loaded full of vitamins. It took me under 35 minutes to prepare the whole dish.


Green Goodness!


Recently, I went over to a girlfriends house for a fun night of Bunco, and indulged in a delicious blueberry muffin. The recipe, was from the new cookbook My Father's Daughter, by Gwyneth Paltrow. Everyone knows that I have a deep love of cooking and cookbooks, I would consider it more of an obsession, to be honest.

Last week, I bought the book, and made an amazing broccoli  soup. Broccoli soup was more of an experiment to see if my daughters would eat the broccoli, with no complaints. It was a pleasant surprise when they devoured their bowls with no complaints. They loved this soup, so much they had two servings. I did modify it, it a little. Next time to add more life to the soup I will add diced tomato. We will be making more of it this week, and freezing it.


  • 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, Napa
  • 2 teaspoons of Granulated Garlic, or you could use 3 fresh garlic cloves sliced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 3 Medium Broccoli stalks, cut into small florets
  • 32 ounces of Chicken Broth, or Vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoon of Celtic Salt
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 5 slices of cooked bacon (omit for vegan option)
  • 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, or sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional, if dairy free)
This recipe is really simple. In a skillet add olive oil, and then toss in onion, broccoli, granulated garlic. Cook on medium high for ten minutes to fifteen minutes, until broccoli is green and tender but firm. In a dutch oven, add the broccoli mixture, broth, salt and pepper. Then use the skillet to fry up the bacon. While bacon is cooking simmer soup mixture on a medium high for ten minutes, and then add bacon and heat at a medium for ten more minutes.

Pour soup into a large bowl, and puree. I use my Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender. 

Serve and enjoy!


Messy looking, but tasty

Two thumbs up from our picky eater!


Thumbs up from V

My family loved this recipe so much it was gone as quickly as it was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.