Monday, December 19, 2011

CocaoCoco-nut Raw Balls


I had the pleasure of taking a trip to Boulder Co, recently and visited a little coffee shop called the Unseen Bean. To my surprise they had candy, caramels made out of coconut, and little Raw balls made by Simply Dara. I picked out my choice of candies and one Raw Ball, to take home and share with my husband, which never made it home because I indulged myself on my plane trip back home.
Skip forward to Sunday, I knew that I wanted to make these balls, and all I had was the ingredients but not the measurements of the the recipe. So off to whole foods we went. This recipe is my first try and pretty good, but it is really rich. My husband insist it is a winner, but I am wondering if it may be too sweet, and will revisit and revise this recipe and add a little less agave.

You can flavor this differently, and next time I am thinking of using a Cherry extract to just for fun.
The time it took me was only ten minutes, and the balls were done, and better yet there was no cooking time. The girls were able to snack on it immediately, with no fears of food poisoning from raw eggs.
And all around these Balls were a great winters treat, with no guilt.

Ingredients


  • 1 cup walnuts 
  • 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
  • 1 cup dried dates, separately
  • 1/2 cup cocoa nibs blended
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder (1 tbls cocoa)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 agave
  • 1/2 Cup of Coconut flakes
(Note this recipe is very sweet, so at first I would add less Agave, and if desired add more to until you get to the 1/3 cup.)
Place 1 cup of walnuts in the food processor and use setting on the blender "chop". Add almonds, Cocoa Nibs, and then place the dry ingredient's in a medium to large bowl. Add one cup of dates to the food processor, and puree, until it is almost a paste. Add to the bowl and all wet ingredients, and stir well, until the mixture is all mixed well. 


Next step is a little messy because dough will be sticky, but roll into balls. On a plate, or flat surface spread out Coconut flakes. Roll the balls in flakes, until covered on all sides. 


Serve and indulge, and enjoy!!! Remember these are very rich, and you will only need just a little!



4 comments:

  1. Okay, you need a FB page! I just made these and posted the pic on my page. I would love to be able to tag you in it. I LOVE the cocoa nibs in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara, Thanks, I do have a FB Page. It is fairly new. I love your blog, and will be looking for yours too!

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Primitive-Foodie/114200492025792

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are excellent! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - - easy & yummy! I left out the cocoa nibs, went easy on the coconut & added fresh cherries & cut them up a bit in the food processor for a nice additional burst of fresh flavor. Keep these recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.