Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Everything Cookies

Pin It


Once upon a time, when we used to eat grains, and thought we were being healthy, Wild Oats Market, had a cookie, called the Everything Cookie! My husband would devour these cookies. Inhaling the cookies, would be a better description of how he would go through them. In the past I have made versions of these cookies with almond flour. My almond flour cookies are amazing, but we have since quit making them, because it was hard for me to digest (thanks to belly issues). I have been dreaming of another alternative to making cookies, that would not require almond flour, or other gluten free flours. 


That was until the other day, when I accidentally blotched, made Health Bent's Paleo Sweet Potato Pancakes.  By not paying attention to exact measurements, and then trying to fix my failure, we eventually evolved the pancakes into even worse pancakes, that I tried to salvage into making muffins. Delicious success, that left me wondering, could I make these into a cookie?


Days later, after scouring the Internet for sweet potato cookies, or bread, or muffins, we found nothing. So back to Health Bent, and previous knowledge of cookie recipes, and voila, probably one of the most healthiest, yummiest, cookies ever made to date!








Ingredients:
  • 3 cups potatoes ( about 3 small/medium)
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 to a 1 full cup shredded coconut flakes
  • 2 tablespoons coconut milk 
  • 1/2 cup of Kettle almond butter ( this is important, different brands will give different consistency)
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt salt 
Pin It

Directions:
Peel sweet potatoes and chop. Boil in pot until you can puncture with a fork and it is soft. This  will take around 15 to 20 minutes. Once the sweet potato is cooked thoroughly, transfer to a bowl, immediately add coconut flour, cinnamon, honey, and maple syrup, butter, baking soda, baking powder,  and almond butter. Set aside and let cool for about 15 minutes. For faster results cover and cool in the refrigerator. 

While cooling add eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract, salt in a separate bowl. Gently whisk until all ingredients are mixed. 


Once sweet potatoes are cooled combine egg and milk mixture mix on high. Add your choice of chocolate chips, raisins, and coconut flakes.


If you are making cookies then on parchment paper, spoon out batter by the tablespoon, and bake for about 15 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven 350.


Bread will take longer. I would advise breaking the batter up into two loaves, as not to make it too thick. Time estimated is around 30 minutes, or until middle runs clear when poked with a tooth pick. 


Serve and Enjoy!





Sweet Potato Pumpkin Bread!

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. These look great! how many cookies did your recipe yield?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made about 24 cookies, and then for fun threw the rest of the batter into the bread pan to see if it would work. So on top of that 24 we had a small loaf! They were all gone in less than 24 hours. My husband, and kids, and even me, went through them too fast. I am going to make another batch tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! Though you may want to correct a typo I found. The instructions state that the cooked potato should be transferred directly to a bowel. I prefer my food to enter through my mouth instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great laugh at loud moment at self! I was so excited to post these, that I missed that one. Thanks, for mentioning Jocelyn.

      Delete
  4. Love these healthy cookies! Gotta try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these a soft cookie? They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is supposed to be chocolate, raisins, OR coconut? Not all three?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to make these, however I just have regular old flour in the house : / do you know how much regular flour i could sub for coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, sorry I just saw this. No substitution with the flour. The recipe is specific to coconut flour, which requires more eggs.

      Delete
  8. Curious, what are the carb count on these cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that there are higher carbs in this cookie, but it is far more healthier than a granola bar. I am guessing about 30 to 40 grams? I could be guessing high.

      Delete
  9. Yum!!! Just made these cookies and LOVE them. Thanks!! I used peanut butter because that's all I had on hand - they turned out fluffy and very soft. Will definitely make again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quick question - do the potatoes have to be warm to combine the first set of ingredients or can I use some left over mashed sweet potato I have in the refrigerator? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that should work fine. Just make sure that there is the same quantity. Let me know how it goes. :-)

      Delete
  11. Don't have Kettle brand almond butter......what consistency should I look for? Runnier or stiffer??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same question, we can't get that brand here, what consistency should be be looking for? These look so delicious, can't wait to try them :)

      Delete
  12. These cookies are delicious! I've made them five times and they go quickly...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks!!! I am so happy you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  13. Quick silly question....when you say sweet potato...are they the orange one? (I'm never sure, as in Canada we call yams sweet potatoes, and sweet potatoes yams.) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yams should work! Here we have sweet potatoes, they are less orange in color, and yams. I have used both.

      Delete
    2. Born and raised in Canada and I buy yams here (in B.C.) all the time. The sweet potatoes are usually right beside the yams in the bins. I don't buy them because my family and I prefer yams.

      Delete
  14. my 13 year old and I put this into the donut mold plate on our waffle iron....omg sooo good

    ReplyDelete

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.