Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Homemade Chicken Broth

Pin It


I Have a SECRET CONFESSION, so listen up!!! Up until recently I have been cooking with store bought chicken Broth! The horror, the shame, the embarrassment.. I think that is why it has taken me so long to post this recipe.


After going semi- paleo, I could no longer buy my broth without guilt from the grocery store. Knowing that what I was buying was processed, and full of salt, taking natural flavors away from my dishes, and above all causing my meals to be less nutritionally dense.


Homemade chicken broth is fast, and easy and adds vital minerals and vitamins to your dishes, and soups. And did I say Flavor, tons of flavor.


Ingredients:



  • 4 pounds of chicken
  • 1 medium onion diced up
  • 3 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 2 carrots chopped
  • 1 Potato of choice, sweet or Yukon
  • 1 rib of celery
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 2 Quarts of Water + 1 Cup



Directions:


Place Raw chicken and all ingredients in stock pot. Bring to a boil and the reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
Remove the chicken and set aside for reuse. Generally, we love to use this chicken in our salads, and eggs during the week.
Strain Broth into a bowl.


Remove Bay leaves, we normally do not discard the mixture of vegetables, instead we set aside for a quick and easy lunch during the week.


Reserve Chicken broth for soups, or dishes that may call for broth!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.