Monday, May 28, 2012

Chocolate Magic hard shell ice cream topping




I am a sucker for hard shell ice cream. Before I realized that I was lactose intolerant Dairy Queen's dipped ice cream cones was my favorite treat in the world. A weakness of mine during pregnancy. My husband would take me to get one almost everyday when I was expecting my daughter Emma. 


It was kind of sad when we gave up chocolate syrups, and hard shell dipped ice creams. I had a sigh of relief when coconut ice cream showed up to my local grocery store. Perhaps, I even sang some hallelujah's out loud in the grocery store isle in my head!


This month in my bon appetite magazine I found a recipe for BombeBasticks. They looked so good I had to make them, and best of all they fit into our allowed non gluten/ non dairy cheats.




Ingredients:



  • 12 ounces of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. ( I used a bag of dark chocolate chips)
  • 1/3 cup of coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice


Directions:


Combine dark chocolate and coconut oil in a medium metal bowl, and set over a medium saucepan with boiling water. Stir Chocolate until melted. Remove from hear and add cinnamon and lemon zest. Let slightly cool and pour on top with a spoon on your ice cream. Garnish with pistachios, or almonds!








Note: The recipe called for 8 sugar cones and 2 pints of ice cream. In which she coated the scoops of ice cream. We did not do this. With the excess, I made little chocolates. Pouring the melted chocolate in molds, and then we froze the molds to let the chocolate set! 



5 comments:

  1. can you use another type of oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Tess! Yes, the coconut is crucial in this particular recipe. It adds flavor, and hardens well. Coconut oil is really healthy and is fairly inexpensive, and can be used to replace olive oil, in frying and cooking, as well. Best, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THESE! Thank you for posting! Additionally, I discovered I can take unsweetened chocolate and sweeten it with raw honey or maple sugar, or one of the healthier sweeteners mentioned in this article: http://www.westonaprice.org/beginner-videos/natural-sweeteners-video-by-sarah-pope. That way I can avoid yucky, processed white table sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From chocolate bars to chocolate ice creams to chocolate sauces or chocolate toppings, these different forms of delicious chocolates became a part of everyone's life. Later, Switzerland played an important part in introducing mouth watering expensive chocolates to the world.

    Chocolate topping

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks really good!.

    ReplyDelete

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.