Thursday, March 17, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Pin It

We decided to start celebrating St. Patrick's Day, a night early with an Irish traditional dish. My husband rarely eats slowly, but he savored every bite and was the last one to finish the meal. At the end he told me that I had topped myself..... I am taking that is a compliment, and may have to add this into our winter and spring menu once a month!
To keep it healthy, I switched out baby potatoes and used 1 large sweet potato in its place. 

Corned Beef and Cabbage





  • 2 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket (pre- spiced)
  • 1 sweet potato 
  • 1 8 ounce package of baby carrots
  • 1 medium head cabbage
  • 5 to 6 cups of water
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil

In a dutch oven spread olive oil over the bottom, and place corned beef and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 45 minutes. While cooking dice sweet potato, and slice cabbage into small wedges.


Remove Corned Beef and place on a platter and slice.

Add 4 more cups of water and potato, and carrots and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender, and then add cabbage.

Remove vegetables once cooked and add desired amount of broth
I like this picture enough to post it twice! 


Dish up and serve with almond bread, and Guinness extra stout, enjoy and relish in delight.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.